I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Rom 12:1-2

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Bible

If you missed it, check out my previous post. Here is my partial answer to what I believe about the Bible. Many thanks to the friends in my Bible study who also answered this question on their own. Some of my answer below I researched based on what they found and discussed with our group. I finally had to stop with the scripture references because verses led to more verses which led to more verses, and I wanted you to read this and not just get overwhelmed. I am amazed by how much the Bible comments on itself! I would encourage you to look into it for yourself. The links below go to BibleGateway which has handy cross references to get you going.

I believe the Bible is God-breathed (2 Tim. 3:16). God is true author. It is my guidebook (Ps. 119:105, Rom. 15:4, 2 Tim. 3:16); my source of wisdom (2 Tim. 3:15, Eph. 1:7-9, Proverbs!); and my checks and balances, discerning my thoughts and intentions (Heb. 4:12). It is the only book I really NEED (Matt. 4:4). I believe that by renewing my mind with the Word of God (with an open and yielded heart--see the parable of the sower and Rom. 12:1), I am being transformed, metamorphosed from the inside out (Rom. 12:2). I believe the Word of God is eternal and unchanging (Ps. 119:89-90, John 1:1, Is. 40:8.) It teaches and encourages me and gives me hope (Rom. 15:4). The Word of God is true (Ps. 18:30 2 Sam. 7:28, Prov. 30:5). It is The Truth (John 17:17, Ps. 119:160). The Word of God equips me to do good (2 Tim. 3:17). It is the sword of the Spirit--our weapon against the devil (Eph. 6:17).

In the past, I have often passed over difficult passages (many in Revelation), entire chapters (in Job and other places) or even whole books of the Bible (Lamentations???), thinking they weren't important to my life, or they were written to someone else or they were in the past and not really relevant except for as a collection of Bible stories (most of the Old Testament.) Now I am coming to realize that I missed the point of 2 Tim. 3:16: ALL Scripture is God-breathed. Jesus said, "For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished." (Matt. 5:18 also see Luke 16:17 and Matt. 24:35). I need to trust, learn, and teach the whole council of God (Acts. 20:27). It is my job to keep my heart yielded to God (the good soil in the parable of the sower) and plant the seed of the Word, but it is God's job to make that seed grow. It won't return void or be useless (Is. 55:11).

I may not understand every bit of it right now, but now that I do take every bit of it seriously I am finding revelation all over the Bible. It is truly amazing! Also, I am writing out my questions, and fully expecting them to be answered some day. The change in mindset really makes a difference. EVERY WORD in my Bible means something! It is there for a REASON! And God, the Author, the Revealer of Mysteries (Dan. 2), is my guide through it all.

No comments: