I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Rom 12:1-2

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Examples

"...shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock." II Peter 5:2-3

From the margin of my Bible there are six verses cross-referenced to the phrase "examples to the flock." Look them up and see if there are marginal note for them.

John 13:15
Phil. 3:17
1 Thess. 1:7
2 Thess. 3:9
1 Tim. 4:12
Titus 2:7

"For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example, because we did not act in an undisciplined manner among you." 2 Thess. 3:7 (this was not cross-referenced above, but was cross referenced from 2 Thess. 3:9.)

Ouch. I could not say this to my children and have it be the truth. I have to work on my own life before I can set a good example for them. "Do as I say, not as I do" is not a Godly principle. I need to have the Holy Spirit show me where my example needs to change and then look to Him for the strength to change it.

No comments: